Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Amusing placards at Conference

So...my parents are service missionaries at Temple Square and have been for about a year. They act as ushers at the Conference Center or the Tabernacle when there are events such as Conference, The Spoken Word or any other event. They love it and I get to hear about a bunch of things that I wouldn't necessarily ever know. Anyway, my dad called tonight to find out what my favorite talks were because he wasn't able to hear any of them as he was serving outside on both days. During our conversation he told me about some our favorite people who come to the Conference Center every spring and fall: the protesters and street preachers. They just can't stay away, can they? My dad was really amused by a couple of interesting placards that were being marched around. The first one was being held by a young woman in her twenties. She was holding it high and proud as she paraded around the faithful and the not-so-faithful. It read:


I ♥ MORMONS.


She got a lot of smiles and 'thumbs up'.


Another was a young man dressed in black suit with a top hat and cape with red fringe on it and carrying a pitchfork. His large placard read:


"Hi, I'm Satan
and these
street preachers
are my missionaries"


!!!


That one got a lot of laughs.After conference the young woman and young man met up and walked off together. Ya gotta love Conference. *smiling*

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! What a gutsy sign! I'm surprised he didn't get roughed up, but I bet he got a lot of name calling and jeers from the street preacher crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be so hard to go to TS to seriously protest the church and then be owned as one of Satan's missionaries. What could they do? Go up to Satan and accuse him of being a Mormon? Hmmm? Then have Satan embrace him and say, "What? Me? No! I'm Satan! Thanks for being here son."

    ReplyDelete