Sunday, July 25, 2010

Childhood memories

I was listening to the radio the other day and a song came on called "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert. I was so touched by the lyrics that I decided to write down some of the sights, sounds and feelings that are triggered in me by songs from my youth.
John Denver's 'Sunshine' can take me right back to when I was 15 years old:
I'm at Gramma's sitting on the little hill that slopes down to the big lawn. I'm wearing my cut off jeans and my brother's old blue, button-down shirt. My long hair is making my neck sweaty and I can feel a cool trail begin to run down my back.  I'm eating sun warmed cherries from the big cherry three that grows by  the car port and spitting the pits as far as I can into the hedges. It's almost time to irrigate and I can smell the water, wet and earthy at the same time, and the languid warmth of the afternoon air is saturated with the aroma of lush, sweet peppermint that grows wild along the ditch bank. There's the sound of a train whistle. I can feel a slight rumble beneath my back and feet when I lay back and close my eyes. The long grass tickles the back of my neck and ears.

I'm thinking about the boy that lives down the street and wondering if he's going to come by this evening after he finishes with his lawns and everyone's had dinner. Maybe we'll get together with my brothers and sisters and neighborhood kids and play hide-and-seek or tag on the big lawn until our parents call us in for bed.

Or maybe we'll just go for a walk and he'll hold my hand...maybe. Anticipation curls in my stomach and I smile to myself. "Now that would be exciting", I think.

2 comments:

  1. This is a thought provoking post...today CL went through some old letters and photos, he was taken back to so many memories...it can cause so many emotions. Your blog is wonderful!
    Would you mind if I was a follower?
    Thanks, Becky Chapman
    Raising kids can be a lot like weeding the rose bed...well worth it, but...OUCH!
    http://myelevenreasons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete