Saturday, January 1, 2011

1's Good

We went out to dinner last night, or should I say late afternoon. I think we left at 4 pm, so as not to get caught in the crush. The Olive Garden was our destination. It was very yummy. I had Limoncello Chicken Scaloppini and a Berry Acqua Fresca to drink, which was pretty much a dessert too. I would recommend them both. I even have leftovers for lunch today which is even better. (As an aside I will mention that it was exactly 9 degrees outside after dinner at 5:15) Then when we got home we snuggled up on the couch with a quilt and watched a movie together. One of our favorites, "Galaxy Quest". So sentimental and swooney. Not. All in all it was very nice.

At dinner my husband asked me what my New Year's resolutions were. I gave it some thought and told him a few things, (I've since amended them) then I asked him what his were. He said, "My New Years Resolution is to love you forever and ever and for always and always."

I laughed out loud. "You say that every year! Is it that hard that you have to try again each year?" I asked incredulously.

He grinned, "No, it's easy. I like to do easy things. I know I can do this one and I succeed every year. I win!" Then he kissed my hand.

Yeah, he wins. I have a good and loving man who cares about me and my happiness. If that's his New Year's Resolution every year then I win too.
----------------------------------------------------------
 
I know that time is relative; that the measuring of it is a man made thing. That a new start could begin at any time one chooses, be it in the middle of a day, week or month. But there is something about a New Year that brings with it a sense of obligation to reflect on one's past, a needful pause in one's life for an inward measuring of character and growth, and a renewed energy in the ongoing resolve to be better. Why is that? In any case, it's probably as essential to the world as a whole as it is for the individual.

A new beginning is a good idea. I think it's always a good idea. Not just at the beginning of a new year. I think I'll start 'new' several times this year just to keep in practice.

Therefore my 1st resolution will be:
  1. I'll start "New" whenever I feel like I need to. I won't wait for a New Year. I'll just chuck the calendar when it comes to reflection and change. If the skin I'm wearing becomes too uncomfortable, dry, scratchy, unbecoming, I'll get rid of it. Of course that means I'll have to be Aware, which does take some work. It means I have to Care more, Forgive more (including myself), and...other things. This is already getting a bit heavy. Maybe I'll just stop at 1.
Yeah, 1's good. It symbolizes beginning. It's more than zero which is better than nothing and it always leads to more than one. A nice simple straight line. No curves, no loops. Just...

1

Okay, I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. I like that. A lot. I get frustrated with New Year's Resolutions. I like the idea of starting a new goal when it's needed and when I feel like it, not when the New Year demands it.

    You do have a good man...he sounds like my good man. It's a blessing in a world where marriage isn't a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. One is perfect and I have already written in my own blog that I have resolutions throughout the entire year...I think it's a much better plan than trying to wait until Jan 1st to start all new things...one is perfect!

    ReplyDelete