Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Dream of Arabian Nights

Around this time of year I get a bit nostalgic about the place where I grew up. Why? Because it was the only time of year that was magic, (except maybe Christmas...but that doesn't have anything to do with geography, unless you want snow.) The rest of the time it was just hot or I was in school. Well, it was magic when I was a kid anyway...when I turned 15 or so I started to see through the magic and began noticing the tarnish and moth holes, but that's what teenagers do best, isn't it?

When all my Utah friends and family were not building snowmen, riding in one-horse-open-sleighs, and catching snowflakes on their tongues; things they should have been doing in this glorious winter wonderland, I was breaking out my shorts and sandals, again, and dreaming in an Arabian Nights theme wondering if I would ever own a Genie Costume like my friend KayDee, who had a pink one. Seriously, it was the most romantic, beautimous outfit ever. Sheer pink chiffon and shiny satin with sequins and a jeweled necklace placed on her head so that the large pink stone hung on her forehead between her eyebrows. *sigh* KayDee was the youngest of 4 girls, (Karen, Krista, Kathy and KayDee) and they ALL had lovely diaphanous Arabian Nights costumes that, uh-hmmm, showed their tummies, (Purple, Green, Blue and Pink, respectively). They also had curly toed gold shoes, and hats with a sheer scarf that hung down from it so they could mysteriously drape it across their noses and mouths. Their mom dressed up too, her costume was gold and their dad wore a fez and a boiled wool vest with decorative gold braid. Oh how I wanted to have a lovely costume for my very own. I think I even prayed for one.
On Highway 111 and Arabia Street
For, you see, it's February and the Date Festival is about to begin. Queen Scheherazade is soon to be crowned and the desert magic will commence. People, even the men, dress in the most outlandish Arabian costumes with gold lam`e turbans and gaudy jewels. One might even catch a glimpse of a camel or even an elephant just prior to the parade. And the Parade! Oh my goodness. Not only are there beautiful ladies dressed in amazing costumes that shimmer and float gracefully on the slightest breeze but some of them actually ride on camels! And even the camels are dressed up with gold tassels hanging from their bridals with a mysterious sheik leading it. There are also the gorgeous floats, and Spanish riders with their silver studded and tooled leather saddles and accessories, the Senorita's wearing lace mantillas and dresses with yards and yards of ruffles that cascade over the rumps of their horses. The men are donned in black velvet with short bejeweled jackets and flat brimmed black hats. Their horses are amazing! They don't plod along like old work horses, they prance with high arched necks. (I didn't pay any attention to the silly mayor or other boring dignitaries who wave from convertibles. Who wants them in a parade anyway?) Talk about fertile ground for a young girl's imagination! I'm tempted to swoon even now.
Queen Scheherazade and her court 1963

College of the Desert Marching Band
There were, of course the carnival rides, cotton candy and popcorn, the fruit and vegetable displays, the 4H shows, the horse shows etc...that any fair would have be we also had...

Date shakes, (dates are awful, I don't care what anyone else says, they look like giant dead cockroaches
Ewwww...ick
and I can feel my gorge rise just thinking about them, but date shakes are heaven!), ostrich and camel races, and elephant rides,
and...The Pageant.
The Fairgrounds were designed and built like a cheap Disney version of the middle east...kind of. In the center of the fairground is the outdoor pageant stage. There is a minaret, and mid-eastern castle walls and turrets and sculpted doorways large enough for an elephant to walk through. The pageant itself was rather boring if you actually paid attention, but the visual treat was enough to fire my imagination and I created my own story as I watched the colors and textures of the costumed participants, listened to the strange sounding music with it's exotic tones and waited for the beautifully dressed camels and...the elephant.

Entrance Gate
All in all it was pretty amazing up until I was about 15 and I got a job at a concession stand during the fair, selling candied apples, popcorn and cotton candy. I got a free pass to get in every day but it didn't take long for the magic to wear off when I smelled like popcorn, and when I had to blow my nose (and that was fairly often) it was purple, or pink, or blue, due to the sugar dust I breathed in when making cotton candy.

Moral of this story?

If you want to preserve the innocent magic of a place, 
it's probably best not to get a job there...
or don't grow up.

Probably both.

No comments:

Post a Comment