Saturday, October 2, 2010

A change of heart

Gianna Jessen. A baby born under miraculous circumstances on an auspicious day: April 6, 1977. When watching the following video that was posted on Facebook a few days ago I was so deeply touched by her story that it has haunted me since.
PLEASE WATCH! Click below.

For 16 minutes I was riveted to the screen listening to this woman's testimony. For that is definitely what it was: a testimony of Love, a testimony of Life, A testimony of the power of God.

I was shocked and horrified by the inhumanity forced on her before she was even born. I was ashamed by my own attitude on this subject of abortion. But my primary emotion was awe. Awe for this woman who knows, truly knows who she is and why she was born. I love her honesty, her surety, her willingness to stand for truth without equivocation. I love her unabashed acknowledgment of who she really is: A Child of God. She has the courage to call a spade a "spade" and smile while doing it. Without fear that she might be hated for it. Basically she's saying, "I know what I know. So BRING IT! I'm ready. I can take it, because God is my Father."

I've never been a proponent  of abortion. I believe it to be a heinous practice founded in ignorance, selfishness, and greed. But my shame comes in here - my recent attitude has been that, heinous as it is, abortion has been around for thousands of years and there will continue to be abortions until every knee bows and every tongue confesses that Jesus Is the Christ. I just don't want to pay for in any way, shape for form. I don't want my tax dollars paying for it or even supporting counseling that proposes it as an option except maybe in extreme cases, (rape, incest, life endangerment for the mother) but even then it should be a well considered and prayerful option. In a nutshell: What's going to happen will happen I just don't want to be a part of it.

Talk about the beginnings of a hard heart. After listening to her I literally hung my head and cried.

I don't believe in the opposite stance either! Where clinics are burned  and abortion doctors and staff are targeted for violence. No...but I am ashamed at my backseat detachment. If only more people took to heart the scripture in Psalms 56:11

                   In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. 

Be not afraid to reverently use His Name in public. Be not afraid to acknowledge Him as The Power In Your Life. Be not afraid to be hated for His name's sake. Be not afraid to be outspoken in defense of truth and right. Be not afraid to judge or condemn actions while still loving those who act.

Love. The most powerful emotion in Creation. For it is through love that all good things are created. Even soft hearts.

I will never speak of abortion in such a casual way again. It's shameful.

3 comments:

  1. wow incredible. I can't believe the quote she said from the man that does the abortions that it's his passion.
    She is awesome, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. We certainly have a different perspective on life from others: we are responsible and accountable for creating life. Just because it's "our body" does not mean that we should have the right to rid of a baby's right to live. Oh, wait, they don't consider "it" a baby...it's a "potential life."

    On apples: Jonathans are yummy, but have you tried the Honeycrisp? Ooooooh, baby. Michigan grows the finest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pretty much everything she said, but one thing that really stands out is that she brought up women's rights, and how no one was campaigning for *her* "women's rights" on the day she was born. That's one thing I always bring up on the subject of abortion: what about the rights of the baby? An embryo's heart starts beating around 6 weeks, roughly four weeks after conception, and usually 2 weeks after the woman can even know for sure that she's pregnant. A beating heart is a life, as far as I'm concerned. It's such an incredibly selfish mindset that says only the mother-to-be matters in the decision of abortion, and the people who say "it's not a baby yet" are only hiding behind technical terms to try and wash their hands of accountability and stave off a guilty conscience.

    ReplyDelete