Monday, September 5, 2011

The making of a wedding quilt -

I thought it might be interesting to do a time lapse blog on the making of a wedding quilt.

Daniel is my third born child and second son, born the day after Valentine's Day, February 15th 1985. He's my sunshine boy. His favorite color when he was a munchkin was yellow and he had/has one of the most contagious smiles I've ever seen.







He's never been afraid of getting his hands, or anything else dirty. He's got a very unique sense of humor which keeps us all going and one of the softest hearts imaginable.

I'm really emotionally invested in this quilt for some reason, not only because it comes from one of the deepest places in my heart to a dear and beloved child but because it's one I've dreamed of making. I'm sure the reality will not begin to measure up to the imagined original but we have to begin somewhere.

First we must begin with the inspiration. When his fiance, Hillary, was over with her mother, step mother and sisters to take a look at the back yard and what could be done with it we discussed colors. I got to see her bridal pictures which were taken out on the salt flats during sunset. They're Bee-Ewe-Tea-Full! I loved the stark lines and dramatic colors in them. The wind was blowing and she looked breathtaking. It was definitely her element. She's going to have lavender in her bouquet and when I mentioned sunset colors for their quilt she seemed to take to the idea. My mind began to race...

Batiks!! I love batiks. Love, love, love them. Whenever I want to treat myself I work with them.

First, I soak them in a water, vinegar, salt solution to set the dye. I was told about this process by a Navajo quilting gentleman. It works. I've never had a problem with colors   running when I do this.
 
I wanted to see how the progression would look wet...hmmm...the darks look really dark and the yellow and medium blue aren't there because they've already been washed and dried.
Here are all the fabrics I'll be using the darks will be more 'present' than the lights in order to create the contrast to see the overall design.

This is going to be so much fun!!

1 comment: