Friday, September 9, 2011

Wedding Quilt Continued - The Cutting/Sewing of Block #2

I started cutting for block 2 when we got home from The Greek Festival on Thursday night. Since I was working from a picture of a quilt that I saw online and then drew up in my quilting software, and not from a published pattern, I had to do a lot of the math and figuring myself.

This is one of my worksheets that I'm using for cutting. I've found that quilting has kept my brain pretty limber. I'm grateful for that. As my mother has often reminded me, "Use it or lose it Kristine." Well, I'm using it.












For all of the triangles in this block I had to use templates like the one shown at left. I needed to cut 144 light half-triangles like the one shown, 24 dark half-triangles, and 52 dark full-triangles.










I cut several strips the height of the template in both light and dark fabrics then laid the template on top making sure that the edge of the template sat square against the edge.  Then I laid my ruler on top of the template, lining my quarter inch seam line on the ruler exactly on top of my solid stitch line on the template. Then cut. Also trimming the little corners to make it easier to line up my pieces when sewing them together.














In addition I cut 9 dark 2 1/2" strips and 9 light 2 1/2" strips, sewed each dark strip next to a light strip then sub-cut each strip set into as many 2 1/2" segments as I could get out of each set. All those pieces had to come together like this during my Friday sewing session:



Each 12" block contains 32 pieces. (There are 12 of those totaling 384 pieces) Each 12" x 6" block consists of 17 pieces. (There are also 12 of those totaling 204 pieces)

For a grand total of 588 pieces for Block #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment