Sunday, December 13, 2009

2009 Christmas Advent #13

Dano & Stephie under the desk at Gramma Great's. They thought it was a nice 'house'.
This story really has nothing to do with the picture above except that the 'actors' in the 'play' are the same. I wrote about this experience to my Sweetheart when he was in Utah with Jason and Jeni, getting them into school and looking for a job, and I stayed in CA packing up the apartment and taking care of these two. It was a month long separation. Very difficult for both of us but we each did a lot of growing, and the letters helped.
Letters to Steven:
9/12/89
We went to the library today and Daniel got two books on taking baths??? One is called "No Bath Tonight" and the other one is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub". Stephanie just picked out any ol' two books, but they are cute. She likes to be read to...well, she likes to sit on a lap and be in charge of turning pages. Daniel also picked out an instruction tape called "Kid's Karate". He and Stephanie are practicing right now. I had to leave the room because I was afraid I'd laugh. I wish I had the movie camera. Steph likes to practice the kicks the best but several times now has not been able to make up her mind which foot to use and so ends up trying to use both, then lands on her bum. She always has such a surprised look on her face! But no crying. She just plugs her mouth with her thumb and thinks about it then climbs to her feet and tries again. Daniel is making better progress but is a little self-conscious when I'm in the room. I wish you where here to watch.
I had to put carpet fresh on Daniel's carpet because of his peeing in there. It smelled so bad!! One day when the room had not been aired most of the day and he had wet his bed the night before. I walked in and the smell almost floored me. Daniel walked in and wrinkled his nose and just looked at me. I had had a busy, long, tiring day and in exasperation I said, "This room smells AWFUL! It smells like Stephanie's diaper pail!"
Daniel looks accusingly at Stephanie who looks curiously at her diaper.
Daniel says, "Maybe Stephanie pee-peed in here."
Now he KNOWS who really did it and he knows *I* know.
I said, "There is pee pee on the bed and on the floor, right there, and there, and there!" I said pointing to each place."
Daniel, there is pee pee all over this room!!!" He just stares at me as he holds himself protectively, then looks around and says helpfully, "Well it's not on the ceiling. I didn't pee pee up there."
I tried so hard not to crack up, but he looked so anxious to please me and give me some good news.
Such is the life of a young mother with young children. Oh the joys. I don't think I've ever laughed so much OR been so frustrated. I'm so glad it was a rented apartment and not our home. Ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment