Monday, December 14, 2009

2009 Christmas Advent #14



This picture was taken about the *time* of the story but not *for* the story. I was too angry at the time to do anything but be angry.
Fall 1985
We were living in Costa Mesa and Jason, Jeni and Daniel were all sharing one room. They were small so it wasn't too crowded. At this time Daniel was probably close to 1, Jeni 3+ and Jason 4+. I believed, and still believe, in afternoon naps. They are good for children but even better for mommies. It gives us a chance to regroup and sometimes even catch up on a little shut-eye ourselves.
This had been an especially trying day and I had fed the children their lunch and was really looking forward to some quiet time. The children knew the drill: eat lunch, have a small drink, story time and...yes...lay down and take a nap. YES!!! I was probably pushing it with Jason, he was a little old, but was going to push it to the very edge if I had to for those 2 hours of bliss.
It went mostly as planned but for some reason it just wasn't getting quiet. I decided to wait and see if they would settle down. They didn't, if anything they only got louder and wilder and more hilarious. "What is going on?" I wondered.
I opened the door and what met my eyes was a little confusing. What is making the air so cloudy? Why are my children so white? (Jason is usually a nice brown color.) What is going on?

The next sense to register was the overpowering but pleasant scent of baby powder. Then I knew. I saw two happily smiling children, covered in a thick layer of white talc, each holding a jumbo container of baby powder.
Just then they demonstrated the skill they had perfected over thee past 20 minutes: If you pound the side of the baby powder container you can make amazing shooting clouds! It was then that I took in the enormity of the mess. It was everywhere!! On everything!! Bedding, toys, clothes, carpet, curtains, and on my baby too!!
I wanted to cry. In fact I think I did, as I lost my temper and yelled, letting them know in clear and certain terms that I WAS NOT HAPPY!! THIS WAS NOT FUNNY!! MY PRECIOUS QUIET TIME WAS RUINED!!
And what about my poor little innocent baby Dano? He was laughing too as he slapped his hands against his crib mattress and watched the clouds rise and slowly settle.

So it was three against one and after a few hours of vacuuming ans wiping up the mess I did see the humor in it. Maybe it was longer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment