Friday, December 4, 2009

2009 Christmas Advent #4

I've always found children's artwork really interesting and fun to look at, especially when you can get them to tell you about it. The following was a drawing done by my 4+ year old Daniel who was REALLY into cars. The explanation of the picture was written in a letter to my parents.

June 12, 1989 (A letter to Grandparents)
I just had to send this little picture that Daniel drew this morning. He's finally able to sit down and draw a discernible picture. This is one of his more detailed pictures. Most of them deal with a single subject...Cars. This one contains three subjects. First of all there is a self portrait. As you can tell he has a buzz. He can't stand for his hair to get more than "fuzzy". If it doesn't "fuzz" when you run your hand backwards, from front to back, on the top of his head, it's too long and needs to be buzzed again. I noticed that he even put eyebrows on himself! I commented on this 'first', and he gave me a tolerant smile and said, "Those aren't my eyebrows. Those are my scabs." Sure enough he has two scabs, which will soon be pits, high on his forehead in about the same place. How silly of me!
The second subject is his bicycle. As you can see it has handlebars, a seat, peddle, tires, and if you look closely, you'll see air nozzles on the tires. At first I thought it was 1 spoke. He volunteered their true identity. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut or esle I would have deserved another of his tolerant smiles.
The third subject, of course, is the car, and he's driving it. I was afraid to ask what the little marks are beside the wheels but I did anyway. They are the 'SHHHHHHHH' sound the car makes when it's going.


This child has one of the most contagious and engaging smiles of anyone I know.

Our Dano.

No comments:

Post a Comment